The Big Loop: Recap (15 images)

After 68 days, I have finally completed The Big Loop. And what a grand adventure it was! I'm road weary, but filled with terrific memories. Below are some of the summarized high points "by the numbers".

Inside the Gateway Arch

- I logged about 9400 long miles in my pickup truck through 22 states (Utah, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Arkansas, Mississippi, Missouri, Illinois, Kentucky, Tennessee, North Carolina, Virginia, Maryland, West Virginia, Pennsylvania, New York, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, North Dakota, Montana, and Wyoming). That, by the way, brings my bucket list total to 49 states. Only Alaska has eluded me so far.

Lake Superior

- I saw all 5 Great Lakes (Erie, Huron, Michigan, Superior and Ontario). By the way, Lake Superior is gigantic, partly because of its extreme depth. It's as big as the other 4 combined, with room for several more Lake Eries!

Chesapeake Bay

- I enjoyed a boat ride in the Chesapeake Bay while searching for the Chincoteague wild horses. Who doesn't love the Chesapeake Bay? Who doesn't love wild horses?

St Joseph's Oratory of Mount Royale, Montreal

- I crossed into Canada to visit vibrant Montreal, which I had last visited about 66 years ago!

Potomac River

- I crossed 17 of our country's biggest, most important rivers (Arkansas, Cumberland, Colorado, Colorado-Texas, Green, Mississippi, Missouri, Niagara, Ohio, Potomac, Rio Grande, Red, Red-North, St. Lawrence, Susquehanna, Tennessee, Wabash).

- I visited 9 amazing National Parks (Petrified Forest, White Sands, Carlsbad Caverns, Guadelupe Mountain, Big Bend, Hot Springs, Gateway Arch, Great Smoky Mountains, Theodore Roosevelt). I also visited a bunch of State Parks and National Wildlife Refuges, but lost count of them all.

Gettysburg

- I visited several important historic sites: Jamestown, Antietam, Harper's Ferry, Gettysburg, the Alamo, and the Little Bighorn Battlefield. Also Lincoln's birthplace, the site of his death (Ford's Theater) and Grant's Farm.

Selfie at NASA

- I visited the incredibly impressive NASA Johnson Space Center, where they are planning a return to the moon and eventually to Mars.

Churchill Downs

- I toured 2 sports-related venues (Churchill Downs and the Muhammad Ali Center)

Acoma Indian Pottery

- I learned more about a wide variety of Native American tribes across the country.

Steve, Dave and Kev

- I reconnected with all 4 siblings and their families (including a niece and four nephews, and even 4 young members of the next generation).

Dave/Carolyn Hartzell, Thomas/Jared/Kristy Robinson, Big Steve

- I reconnected with some dear friends in Houston and Montreal.

- I crossed 4 hydrological divides: Great (Continental), Eastern, St. Lawrence, and Laurentian.

- I visited 1 ocean, the Atlantic, at the Gulf of Mexico.

Two lifelong buddies, now "up there" in age

- I met a bunch of very nice strangers along the way. It is always enriching to connect with friendly people.

Trumpeter Swans

- I was able to shoot thousands and thousands of photographs of nature in all its glory: countless bird species, other wildlife, landscapes, flowers, trees, waterfalls, and more! Oh, in case you are wondering, I am not already planning my next trip!




Comments