2024 Loop, Day 4: ELK!

Sometimes plans work out JUST right. Today was a travel day: Cooke City to Missoula, and lots of smoke from wildfires blocking out the vistas. So my expectations for photos were very modest.

However, I thought that, if I got on the road before dawn, I might get to see the elk herd that frequents the Mammoth Hot Springs area to feed in the mornings. Not only was there a herd of about 20 grazing elk quietly eating the grass there. But also one bull elk loudly bugling and "making advances". I spent about a half hour watching them before heading north. There was a smaller herd by the gate, and even a few elk wandering through Gardiner looking for some grassy breakfast. It was a lovely start to an otherwise uneventful travel day!
Catching up with errands, a movie, and a nap in Missoula today, then on to clearer skies in Pendleton. 












Comments

Anonymous said…
Love that area and your pictures!