Strangers No More #5: Bill Vincent (30 images)

This big post is about Bill, and cooperating for a common community good. And about the environment. It's about kindness, and photojournalism, and woodturning. It's also about artistry and connections. And more. That's a lot, so bear with me while I dive in.

To set the stage, back in the 90s, I enjoyed a four-year stint as a photojournalist. One powerful lesson I learned from that experience is to always stay alert, curious and fascinated by unfamiliar things. Another is to take every opportunity to meet and learn more about interesting, talented, intelligent, educated, and especially friendly people. Everybody has something fascinating about them, obvious or hidden - often it's up to you to uncover it, to draw it out of them.

Those two invaluable lessons have led me to countless enriching experiences over the years. And it's easy: all you have to do is keep your eyes and ears open and be willing to engage strangers with your sincere and respectful curiosity. And then listen

Okay, now on to this story...

A few weeks ago, I read an article in the St. George News about a conservation group, Desert Preserve, that is trying to eradicate the invasive, water-sucking tamarisk tree from the banks of the Virgin River. They put smaller branches they have removed into wood chippers. But the chippers can't handle the larger branches. So they needed a different solution. Somehow they connected with a group of artists from the Southern Utah Woodturners. It turned out that those folks love the beautiful grain of that tree and also the free supply of wood. It's a big win-win.

Well, both my brother and brother-in-law are woodturners in other parts of the country, and expressed interest in trying some of that wood. So I contacted the group's vice president, Bill Vincent, and he warmly invited me over to his shop to pick up some wood.

What I didn't expect was the impressive, large, fully appointed shop he has built. And the gorgeous work he has done. And his complete willingness to serve as a long-distance mentor of sorts for my relatives. Bill is just a terrific, very friendly guy. And extremely skilled. And completely modest - he doesn't even try to sell his masterpieces. We had a wonderful visit that I cut short only because of a doctor appointment. Otherwise I could have stayed for hours!

I know I'll cross paths with Bill again some day. I'm very much looking forward to that. And to delivering the wood samples to my relatives!

































Comments

Carolyn said…
Massive talent that man has! Gorgeous work!
Anonymous said…
Bill is incredibly talented, kind, and generous. I am so happy to see a spotlight in him. He does a lot of things to give back and has for years and years.
Anonymous said…
I have known Bill for several years. His woodturning talent is obvious and far surpasses that of most. You would be lucky to hear him modestly tell of his exploits to procure wood. They are both entertaining and inspiring.