Strangers No More #6: Steve and Frances (7 images)

Stay open to on-the-fly-changes. Engage strangers in conversation. Stay curious and open-minded. See what happens.

On my journey yesterday, I decided to stop in to Bluff, in extreme southeastern Utah. I've been there a few times before. Two of those had been to go on hikes with friends and family, led by wilderness guide Vaughn Hadenfeldt. I heard he had retired and closed his business, so I just wanted to stop in to say hello. 

Then, as long as I was in town, I wanted to get breakfast at a terrific restaurant, the Twin Rocks Cafe. Upon arriving there, I was very disappointed to find it closed for the day. So, to kill a little time and recharge my artistic batteries, I wandered next door to the Twin Rocks Trading Post, which features beautiful, contemporary Native American art (rugs, sculptures, baskets, jewelry, and so much more).

There I drifted into conversation with owner Steven Simpson, a very laid-back, warm guy. Soon we were joined by Frances, who runs the restaurant. She is a real character! She's well read, well traveled, and has strong opinions about a lot of things, maybe everything. She is intellectually interested in everything and has a big heart. One conversation topic led to another, and another, and another. Frances ended up cooking me a delicious breakfast and then sent me on my way with six books she thought I would enjoy.


Later, I tracked down Vaughn at the Bears Ears Education Center where he was helping prepare for a weekend event. He has gone through some health issues, so I was especially glad to see him and thank him again for two terrific hikes. Then... it was on the road again!

Two hours, completely unplanned, completely well spent! So glad I added Bluff to my journey... on-the-fly!




Comments