Hike: Lower Sand Cove Trail












Nestled in the high desert northwest of St. George, and between Dameron Valley and Gunlock, is a hidden gem. The Lower Sand Cove Trail, on BLM land, is about 1.25 miles, with about a 400 or 500 ft. elevation change, each way.

It's gorgeous, with flowing red sandstone formations, pockets worn by flowing water, junipers, sage, and plenty of flowering cacti.

I tackled it today with an old friend, Jon Ferguson, who is traveling through the area. It was pretty windy, but that helped keep temperatures down. We encountered only a handful of other hikers.

I made it about 90% of the way to a big payoff formation, "The Bowl" before my old body told me to stop. Jon, younger and in better shape easily completed the hike.

So I'm choosing to love the hike that I did (see accompanying photos) and not worry about the part I missed (See https://hikestgeorge.com/hiking-trails/the-bowl-the-vortex-lower-sand-cove/).

My recommendation? Sure, go see Zion, with a million other visitors.  Go see Snow Canyon with hundreds of other visitors. But also visit the Lower Sand Cove Trail - you'll only have to share the trail with a few hikers here and there, and it is a very special place.
























Comments

Carolyn said…
These pictures are so rich with color!
I may have to come do this hike!