Horse Power! Indian Relays (36 images)

Chaos! To me, that's the best one-word description of the Indian Relays. In the event, a rider races around the track bareback. When he completes the lap, a "holder" has his next, very spirited horse ready. He leaps off, runs to the other horse, and leaps onto it (hopefully) to take off on another lap. With three or four teams all doing the same, and with the unpredictability of those horses, the scene can be complete pandemonium!

Then one more exchange and another lap and it's done. It seems to me that success in the race depends more on successful exchanges than on the speed of the horses. One thing I know is that it is EXCITING!

Last evening I attended some relays in the small community of Browning, Montana. There were other events to enjoy as well: conventional speed races, a women's race, juniors' events, a candy sprint for the kids, and more. It was exciting entertainment that took me back to my photojournalism days. And, as always, I got to meet some very interesting people.

So here is a large gallery of high action photos. Enjoy.


















































Comments

Debbie Jorde said…
Love you sharing your adventurous life and pictures with us!! Looks like you’re living life FULLY! Sending much love to you Steve♥️❣️
Jann Hopkins said…
Woah! Literally! I love how the action builds as one flies through the photos. (I did go back and savor each one, I promise!). One of my favorites is the eyeball-to-eyeball with with sable-colored horse. I think horses are one of my Totem Animals. I have to touch them, connect whenever I am around them. I have to have that moment whenever they are near or I feel empty. Your photos took me to a much different dimension; one of exhilaration, fight or flight mode. I could almost hear the crowd going crazy on every emotional level imaginable. What a blast. As always, thanks for the "ride," Steve!
Steve Coray said…
Jan, you do words real good!
🤣
Seriously, I hope the photos I shoot do EXACTLY what you say they do. You just articulate your reactions so eloquently.

I guess that's why we worked so well as reporter-photographer combo!
Anonymous said…
Steve, These photos are incredible! Thanks for the quick lesson re: sports mode before I tried to capture the same wonderful, crazy action. Your photos of the Relay set a high bar. Awesome shots.
Donna
Anonymous said…
Thanks, Donna! I really enjoyed meeting you. I'll be back on Friday. I hope to see you, chat some more, and offer more tips.