Promontory-2018

Promontory Summit, Utah, home of the Golden Spike National Historic Park. This isolated spot north of the Great Salt Lake marks the spot where, on May 10, 1869, the Union Pacific and Central Pacific railroads met to complete the Transcontinental Railroad. The impact of this transportation route to the U.S. and the world can't be overstated.

The original rails and locomotives are long gone. But this park features replicas and re-enactments to commemorate the original event. These photos were from a visit I made there in July of 1918. When I was 13.5, my grandmother took me to see the centennial celebration on May 10, 1969. That was the day I got to meet and shake hands with The Duke, John Wayne! Now, 50 years later, some friends and I (along with about 10,000 other participants) will head up to be a part of the huge sesquicentennial celebration. Watch for my photos from that event soon.







































Comments