Strangers No More #2: A Great Samaritan


In my brief time so far in Montana, I've had a couple of minor "bumps in the road". Today, on my drive from Three Forks to St Mary, my truck had a quickly-deflating flat tire.


I got off the highway, parked behind a gas station/c-store, and started to assess the tire's condition. Just as I was thinking I'd have to detach my trailer to get at my spare, a pickup truck pulled up.

A stranger and his sons wanted to know if they could help. I thanked them and told them I would contact Roadside Assistance. So off they went.

Well, as I was waiting for the tech to arrive, the good Samaritan came back to check on me again. He waited with me and we got to know each other's stories. Eventually he left.

The tech showed up and put on my spare. As I was about to leave, that Samaritan, who I now knew by name, Jeff Wahl, showed up AGAIN. This time to caution me about continuing north without a good spare.

THREE TIMES! You can imagine how appreciative I was.  But he just brushed it off and said he was just doing what his father had taught him and what he was teaching his sons. Also that it was just the Montana way. And, no, he never accepted any pay for his good deeds.

So, I didn't really have a bad travel experience this evening. I had a wonderful opportunity to meet an exceptional man, then get to visit with him for a while. And to experience two quality young men behaving the way every parent wished their sons would.

Yes, I will get to my destination one day later than planned. A small price to pay.

I hope that Jeff does bring his sons to Glacier National Park this summer. I'd love to try to return their kindness. And just to visit some more. 

Also, when I grow up, I want to be more like those fine Montana men!

Comments

Carolyn said…
How extra nice! You are in a great state!