Theodore Roosevelt NP - Wild Horses (16 images)

This summer, I got to view the herd of wild horses at Theodore Roosevelt National Park. I just loved that there are still freely roaming wild herds in pockets around the country. They are an iconic symbol of the wild, wild west. So it was exciting for me to see them, and even better to be able to create a collection of images celebrating them. I love too that they so calmly coexist with the American Bison in the park.

But now, that herd is in the news. The National Park Service is considering removing what they call "livestock". They cite that the horses were not endemic to the area. Also that the herd should be managed at higher numbers (for healthy genetic viability) than the park can support. So they may reduce the total number, or even remove them altogether.

Advocates want to see the horses continue to roam throughout the park. Only time will tell what will happen. Personally, I love those magnificent horses and would hate to see them go.






















Comments

Carolyn said…
One of my favorite posts! The pictures look like paintings. Wonder what they will do with them??