Strangers No More #4: Jack Gladstone (13 images)

It's funny how great experiences sometimes just fall into your lap. Yesterday evening, I drove back up to Many Glaciers to see if I could spot a bull moose again. (I didn't, but I did get to observe a cow feeding in the lake for about 45 minutes.)

As I got back to the parking area, I learned about a presentation to be put on soon by the National Park. So I stuck around and got a front row seat in the small amphitheater. Then I spent over an hour being thoroughly entertained by the music and stories of Jack Gladstone.




Jack, known as Montana's Troubadour, is an enrolled citizen of the Blackfeet Nation in Western Montana. He illuminates American Indian history and culture through his music, poetry and spoken word narrative. I highly recommend that you check out his site for more info.  https://blog.glaciermt.com/western-montana-spotlight-jack-gladstone/ 

You can order any of his CDs from Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/s?k=jack+gladstone&i=popular&crid=32UKCUO9J2FYW&sprefix=jack+gladston%2Cpopular%2C177&ref=nb_sb_noss_2



Jack's presentation was clever, thought-provoking, funny, entertaining.. and, above all, educational. He easily held the attention of the small crowd throughout the evening. Honestly, I just spent a few moments visiting with him, but it was enough to make me feel we were no longer strangers.



By the way, the Peace Medal depicted in several photos is a recast of the ones given by Lewis and Clark to Indian leaders along their journey. Gladstone was awarded one because of his role in illuminating the story of westward expansion and its impact on native lives. See: https://www.monticello.org/research-education/thomas-jefferson-encyclopedia/indian-peace-medals/





Comments