Mostly Moose (16 images)


Most of the images in this post are of two moose. That's because I had them all to myself for over an hour of the early morning daybreak at Fishercap Lake. I had arrived early, about 6:30 a.m., and found a place to sit comfortably, hoping that a moose would show up.




It didn't take long! Within only about five minutes I did spot a mama moose. The bonus is that she was followed by a very young male, with the VERY early beginnings of a rack. It was a kind of mother-son breakfast outing. They were in the shallows at the far end of the small lake, nuzzling up grasses to feed on.


They slowly started making their way around the shore, continuing to look for food. Eventually, I realized that they were headed right for me. They were very aware of me but not appearing to be at all disturbed by my presence. I wanted so much to stay put and see if they would just pass by me. But reason overcame curiosity and I backed off while they strolled past on their way to better feeding.




I watched them for well over an hour before they made their way back into the forest. As I was leaving, I got another bonus: a deer wandered within about 15 feet of me while feeding on the bushes. Like the moose, aware of me, but undisturbed as long as I stayed put, and quiet. 


All in all, it was a wonderful way to start the day. And I came away with some strong wildlife images.








Comments

Carolyn said…
What a cool way to start your day!