Still Life

I just ran across this photo I shot back in 2003. I like it so much I wanted to share it. Back then I was volunteering my photography skills to Artists of Utah, a terrific non-profit arts organization. One of my regular assignments was to shoot individual artist studio spaces for the organization's website. This one was a bit different, as it was a space for groups of artists to go to work on their drawing skills. It was a kind of classroom.

I love how the natural light from large west-facing windows "spotlights" the easels and the in-process artwork. It feels to me like it is about the creation process, about all of the invested hours in perfecting one's skills, about a community of artists. Even with no people in it, it feels very active. I can envision the energy of a drawing session. I can feel frustrations, some failures, some breakthroughs. I can imagine the artists' concentration, conversations, encouragement of each other. I can imagine them immersed in the love of their art.

That nurturing space seems to be in silent repose, but anxious for the energy of the next session and the return of the eager artists.




Comments

Carolyn said…
Amazing how you captured the light reflecting on their work! This picture is a piece of art!