Light & Dark

This is another photo from my archives. I shot it when I visited the Holocaust Museum in Washington DC back in the 1990's I think. The powerful exhibits and information there provided for a very sobering experience. The designers of this exhibit, a mockup of the rail cars used to transport prisoners to concentration camps, very effectively conveyed the isolation, hopelessness, desperation, and so much more that those innocent human beings must have been feeling. It was just one of many tremendous exhibits.

I chose to include it here because is is such a great example of the effectiveness of light and dark in photography in expressing emotion. There is so little detail in it. In fact, most of the frame is black. Yet it tells so much.



Comments

Carolyn said…
I think you captured what the museum was trying to portray in a stunning way.