Yes, but...

In my previous post, I included an image that I like and wonder about making one better. With this post, I WANT to like it, but am ultimately disappointed in it. I KNOW it could have been better. It is the potentially great shot that got away.

This is an image I shot in the early 90's on film at Coral Pink Sand Dunes. It has a lot of elements I really like - the direction of light, the silhouetted shapes, the limited color pallette, the trail of footprints leading up to the focal point, the moment the stranger raised his hand to shield his eyes from the bright sun, the overall simplicity of it. But it was over-exposed. It is "thin". So the color isn't right - it's not rich. The focus on the man and dog is "close". I had stumbled on a terrific opportunity and came away with an interesting image, but not a portfolio image.  In the end, the best I can feel about it is "it shows potential". I know enough about Photoshop where I can hide some of the defects by making it b/w. But, in the end, unless everything feels right, the result isn't satisfying.

I hope to get another chance to make better images at those beautiful dunes some day. And that is another thing I love about photography.




Comments