Photography Quote #4

“What makes a photograph a strange invention is that its primary raw materials are light and time.”
– John Berger


I remember going to the State Fair in 2009 with two friends, Jeff and Shawn. There were thousands and thousands of people there, some who probably would have been excellent subjects for a little "street photography". Because we were carrying cameras with big lenses and tripods, we seemed to attract plenty of curious folks, and willing subjects. But I wasn't there for them. 

I wanted to explore with the rides, their flashing lights, shapes, patterns, color and motion. In fact, we timed our visit to get there a little before dusk, to try to capture the best evening light. That night, I actually avoided including people in my images. Because our techniques were experimental, I got lots and lots and lots of bad images. And a few that I liked.









Comments