Transcontinental Railroad - 100 Years (1969)

I'm posting this old photo as a part of all the hoopla and events of next week's Sesquicentennial Celebration of the completion of the Transcontinental Railroad. Yes, I will be attending. But I was also there 50 years ago, and have one photo to prove it.

I attended the 1969 Centennial Celebration of the completion of the Transcontinental Railroad. To be honest, as a kid, I did NOT understand the significance of the feat. Now, 50 years later, I remember very little of that day. I remember heat, sun, and lots of people. That's about it.

I do clearly remember one more thing - getting to meet the Duke. At that time, John Wayne was the biggest movie star on the planet. Before the ceremony began, my grandmother talked our way onto the stage. I got plopped down next to him and this photo got taken. Unfortunately, it was the last frame on the roll, because he then turned, we stood up, he shook my hand, and asked my name and how old I was. When I told him I was 13, he told me "You're going to be a big man some day". I was awestruck.

Yes, I was wearing a geeky hat, barely perched on top of my big noggin. And had some weird hair thing happening. With one of Dad's pocket protectors in my shirt. So what! I got to meet John Wayne!!!



Comments