Farmington Bay WMA - SERIOUSLY??

I had had a nice (but smoky) morning walking the nature loop. I got a few nice but unremarkable shots of familiar birds. But also some deer. I was satisfied. Then, on the way out, I decided to drive along the paved road to the east - I've had good luck there in the past. Got a few more nice shots. Then, just before I exited, I saw a car pulled over to get a shot of a Great Blue Heron... I thought. I pulled over too, and got a shot.

Nearby were some unremarkable Pied-Billed Grebes... I thought. I saw a light colored flash in the beak of one. Oh, he has a fish... I thought. When I got my camera up, I said to myself, "Holy #$%#, that's a frog!" Then, after following it a bit, I thought to myself again "Holy #$%#, that frog is BIG!"

Then I watched for a while as that Grebe tried to get it down. His strategy was to get it positioned just right, then extend his neck upwards, then gulp. It took quite a while, but it was finally successful. I could barely believe that small Grebe swallowed that big frog. But it did! I doubt that Grebe needed to do any more fishing today.

IDs are with each image. VIEW LARGE for best impact.

Pied-Billed Grebe


Savannah Sparrow


Tracks in the mud


Mule Deer, doe and fawn 


Mule Deer


Mule Deer


Red-winged Blackbirds, male and female


American White Pelican, wobbling its throat to get its prey pointed in the right direction


Great Egret


White-faced Ibis, apparently doing the hokey pokey


Great Blue Heron, in stealthy fishing mode


Pied-Billed Grebe and frog


Pied-Billed Grebe and BIG frog


Pied-Billed Grebe, playing keep away with juveniles


Pied-Billed Grebe, with the frog finally started down


Pied-Billed Grebe and frog feet (all that's left)


White-faced Ibis. I love that iridescent quality of its feathers.


Swainson's Hawk, on a sound barrier near the interstate

 

Comments

Carolyn said…
I LOVE the frog getting eaten pictures! What a moment to catch!