American Bison (17 images)


Friends know that I am fascinated by bison. I've had the good fortune of shooting them in a variety of locations, seasons, and times of day. But in my last week and a half at Antelope Island, I have been able to spend a lot more time studying them. They appear pastoral most of the time. Almost like cattle. But when agitated, they can instantly turn deadly.

So it has been with an abundance of fascination, balanced by an abundance of caution that I have been following them. At times, I didn't even need to follow them. There have been as many as 25 bison wandering through the campground where I've been staying. They have even figured out how to turn on the water faucets at the campsites!



But in a few weeks, their lives will abruptly change. October 29 is the date for the annual Bison Roundup. They will be corralled, vaccinated, studied and in some cases sold off to private breeders. The majority will be released back to the wilds of Antelope Island.

For now, I am happy to share my campsite with them.















Comments