Antelope Island - Bison and More

At the end of this post, after all of the cool bison photos, you'll see some kind of wildlife that you probably won't recognize. That's partly because I couldn't get close enough to get a closeup. It's also because I was unwilling to get closer to them, as they are porcupines! 

It turns out that porcupines spend a lot of feeding time, especially in winter months in trees, chewing on bark, needles, twigs and buds. They can do a lot of damage to them. While they prefer conifers, on Antelope Island you should look for them in Russian Olives.

 

Why would I even want to get out of my car??

That's the Great Salt Lake off in the distance.

I hope he's not sizing me up as he licks his chops!

That's the Great Salt Lake's Bridger Bay in the background.

Bears aren't the only ones that need their itch scratched!

Yes, I stayed in the car!

Really? You have to stick your tongue out at me?
A small herd, with the Wasatch Front in the background

Hey, what's that farmer grown' in his field?

Black and White just felt right here. Hope you agree!

I never tire of watching that feathery reed sway in the breeze.

I loved the contrast of the bison being sandwiched between the dry, grassy foreground and the snowy mountain in the background.

Porcupine

Porcupine

Porcupine

One porcupine in each tree. I saw three in all.



Comments

Carolyn said…
These are ALL GREAT!!!!!! I love the bison with his tongue out and the one with the reeds blowing and the mountains behind! WOW!!!