Road Trip (2 of 4): Mt. Rushmore & Crazy Horse

 I have wanted to see Mount Rushmore for as long as I can remember. Now, with a more mature understanding of how horrifically we treated Native Americans time after time after time during the expansion of our country, I am also very interested in the Crazy Horse Monument. I want to learn more about Wounded Knee and Little Bighorn, and more. 

So I am glad I got to visit both monuments during my trip. They are both spectacular. And both reflect a complex history behind them. It was a terrific learning experience for me.

Some tidbits: 

- The monuments are just a few miles apart. That is convenient!

- They are both HUGE in scope - I knew that, but had to be there to truly appreciate it. 

- Crazy Horse has never used any governments funds. So its progress is glacially slow in comparison to Mt Rushmore. 

- Both projects required the offspring of the original artist to complete them - the artists died before completion of their grand work.

This black and white conversion reveals the grain and cracks in the granite. View it large!












Note the additional detail in Washington's coat and Lincoln's hands that was a part of the original design. That additional detail was eventually eliminated.









Comments

Unknown said…
I have never seen those perspectives of Mt Rushmore before, and they really helped me see it in a larger way. It’s so interesting to me how they sculpted Roosevelt’s glasses’ rims. I really enjoyed these photos.