Light Explosions

Most people either really like these images, or they just don't. And either reaction is valid. But I love them, and I just found the full-size images after many years of them being "lost". I shot them in 2009 at the then-annual Fourth of July concert and fireworks display at Sugarhouse Park in SLC. Conventional fireworks photos are nice, but EVERYBODY has shot them. 

My idea was to explore, to experiment, and to see what happened. They are the result of my intentionally jiggling the camera and effectively making multiple exposures on one frame by holding my hand over the lens between shots. So you can see some repeated patterns in them. But there are also different patterns in the same image, which adds to the visual interest. But the only manipulation I have done to them (besides cropping) is to punch the vibrance and saturation of the colors.

I hope you enjoy them. But if you don't, it's fine. Art is art. 

HINT: For best impact, view them as large as possible. You can click on the image to fill your screen.



Comments

Carolyn said…
I love the experiment!
lisa gemperline said…
I really like these light explosions. I would like to try that someday. I like how intentional they are in a random scattered way. The colors make me happy.