Birds!

Today, I took my (out of state) brother on a tour through the Bear River Wildlife Bird Refuge and the Farmington Bay Waterfowl Management area. And what a beautiful day it was! I'm posting images of a few of the thousands of birds we observed. Not all are great shots, but all were great observations!

We were able to watch a heron hunting for food on dry land, which for me is a first. While its body remained completely still, its long neck sort of waggled back and forth. We did a little quick research online and learned that they do that to confuse or distract their prey. Cool!

I also got to see a baby coot ("cootie"), though I couldn't get a clear photo. Someday, I'll get that! Until then, click on the link to see what this crazy chick looks like (before it turns completely black as an adult).

Northern Shoveler, male and female

Yellow-headed Blackbird

Grackle

A rookery loaded with Great Blue Herons with their chicks

A rookery loaded with Great Blue Herons with their chicks

Great Blue Heron

Cinnamon Teal

Song Sparrow

Great Blue Heron


Comments